TRADITIONAL BREEDS TRADITIONAL WAYS

Wednesday 14 April 2010

Hen and chick update

I have been trying so hard not to disturb the broody hen and let nature take it's course, yet this morning I am wondering if I have done the right thing.

When we set the nest we made sure there was a deep enough hollow so no eggs rolled out but that the lip of the bucket was low enough so any newly hatched chicks could get back into the nest.

I guess we got it wrong. First thing this morning when I went into the shed to get the feed for the layers I noticed a shell outside the nest and just thought another chick had hatched. Having just gone back up, now it's light I noticed not far from the shell a newly hatched almost dry chick. I am so cross with myself, such a waste.

Now I still have to wait until she leaves the nest with any others that may have hatched. Not checking on her every few minutes is going to be very hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment