TRADITIONAL BREEDS TRADITIONAL WAYS

Wednesday 21 April 2010

Defra Registered


I am now official... my poultry are registered with Defra. Once the number of poultry you keep reaches 50 it is a legal requirement in this country to register your flock with Defra - Department of
Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. It came about in 2006 after the outbreak of Avian influenza. Being registered with a central body means in the case of any further outbreaks the location of the larger flocks are known, it should also mean owners will be contacted and be made aware of any problems. Other than that I am sure it will make no difference to the day to day running of my flock. I was just surprised how quickly keeping 50 birds became a reality (actually at present I only have 49!)

No comments:

Post a Comment