TRADITIONAL BREEDS TRADITIONAL WAYS

Wednesday 15 February 2012

Guardian of the shed



Last night my husband greeted me with "I've got you a chicken
(not chocolates or flowers in recognition of Valentines Day), I couldn't call you my phone wasn't working, I can take it back if you don't want it."

Me : "where is it ? "

Him: "On the draining board outside"

I knew straight away he was talking about the ( hopefully) broody Speckled Sussex. She had shown signs of going broody the day before. Unfortunately she was just a day too late for me to foster the newly hatched chicks onto her. She is a wonderful broody and mother and has previously both fostered and hatched many chicks, but expecting her to accept these so soon after being moved was probably a little too much even for her.

So for now she is in a box on the brooder shed floor, growling at all who enter and making visiting the chicks who are in a pen under a lamp near by, interesting to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment